Academic Probation

All high school students complete a
High School Enrollment Contract. (Done at Centralized Intake or if sibling, by ES).

All continuing students will complete a contract at the same time that they do their Fall Student agreement when they enter 9th grade. The contract will be kept in the ESŐs student files. Students who are deficient 30 or more credits/units or have not maintained satisfactory progress at the time of enrollment will be assigned academic probation by the School Counselor if enrolled through Centralized Intake, or by the ES if sibling enrollment. In addition to the requirements listed on the contract, students who are on academic probation will complete all attempted courses with 70% or better, and AESS is recommended. Academic Probation placement is entered into F.R.E.D. The studentŐs progress will be tracked and monitored.

If you have a newly enrolled HS student that is not marked in F.R.E.D. as being on academic probation, but should be, please fill out the contract with them and email the
School Counselor so that the student can be marked in the database.
If you have a continuing high school student that was not placed on academic probation when first the contract was first signed, but has fallen behind, the ES should explain the conditions of Academic Probation and have the student and parent sign the bottom portion of the contract (kept in ESŐs student files). Email the
School Counselor so that the student can be marked in the database.


  Students on academic probation may be dismissed after an Evaluation Hearing (see Truancy Policy  for any one of the following reasons:

-Failing to pass all CWCS courses attempted each semester with 70% or better

-Failing to complete 25 credits/units per semester

-Receiving two truancies

*The minimum 25 credit requirement for CWCS can ŇproratedÓ and divided into the number of weeks in a semester. 17 weeks= 25 credits, approximately is 1.5 credits a week. For example, if a student enrolls late in the semester, and there are only 8 weeks left in the semester, then you should expect a student to be earning at least 12 credits.(8 X 1.5 = 12 )

By the date indicated on the ES Paperwork Timetable, the ES will send an email notifying HQTs that the student is on Academic Probation to get estimated grade for report card. If a student is earning a D or F, consult your advisor and DO NOT SIGN the next semesterŐs Student Agreement until you are sure that the student is passing all classes with CŐs or better.

Students that are dropped for failing to meet the requirements of the high school enrollment contract for academic probation should use the drop code "140" in FRED. The student must attend another school successfully for one semester before reapplying to CWCS, and will only be accepted if able to meet the requirements of a regular enrollee, not able to be under academic probation again.

  If an ES is enrolling a sibling, the student of high school age should be placed in the grade level according to their age.  Use the grade level chart in the ES Manual.   Students must be placed in the grade appropriate to their age, even if earning credits on their transcripts for a grade level higher than their age dictates. For more information on assigning credits to students below high school age, please consult your ES advisor.  In all cases, it is mandatory for a student to show satisfactory progress toward graduation. IEM has typically identified attempting at least 25 credits per semester as satisfactory progress. Attempting does not mean merely "signing up for." Rather, it means a serious endeavor towards, and completion of most of, 25 credits. ESs with students having difficulty in this area should contact their advisor.


If a new sibling student is deficient 30 or more credits, they should be put on academic probation, please email your ES Advisor and Guidance to make the request.


When an ES determines that the student has progressed and has earned enough credits to be removed from academic probation based on the below chart, they should email their ES advisor for the student to be removed from this status. Criteria for removing a student include: sustainable improvement in grades/achievement, no longer credit deficient according to below credit chart, passing CAHSEE Math score, passing CAHSEE ELA score, a good attendance record without truancies.

You can view whether or not a student is on probation on the student detail screen (top left under student number) or on the studentŐs transcript.

NOTE: Below are guidelines to determine if the student is on track for graduation.  Beginning Fall 2013, students are placed in the appropriate grade level according to their age.


51-100 credits = 10th grade

101-150 credits = 11th grade

151+ credits = 12th grade