Creating a Good Learning Environment at Home
- Have high expectations for your child's learning and behavior, both at home and at school.
- Praise and encourage your child.
- Emphasize effort and achievement, and be a role model for getting work done before play.
- Establish rules and routines in the home.
- Monitor television viewing.
- Limit after-school jobs and activities.
- Encourage your child to share information about school and respond with empathy.
- If you don't do anything else, read to your young child or have him or her read to you every night. Encourage older children to read by reading yourself and by having interesting and appropriate materials available.